Sunday, August 15, 2010

Beautiful Moments

As with all parents, there are beautiful, magical moments with my step-lovelies that I want to etch into my heart and remember forever. This weekend - alongside the exhaustion brought on by constant bickering, grouchily-appealing every parental request and the usual nonsense - there seemed to be bucket-loads, but this one will suffice for now.

I am honoured to be part of both #1 and #2's nighttime routine. We snuggle, chat, I scratch their backs, and they whisper me confidences and fears. Tonight, #1 (now 11 and a proud middle-schooler) let me know, among other things, that when he's at school and missing his dad and I he sometimes tucks his own hair behind his ears "as it reminds me of you."

"...but it still annoys me when you do it" he said, quickly, putting his head back down in his Ugly Doll.

Be still my heart.

No comments: